METMOTEC offers a very wide range of optical probes for meters. Models include the major probe standards for infra-red operation, plus some special types, and all can be supplied with a wide range of connectors for hand-held computers used for local meter reading or other host interfaces. Included in the range is METMOTEC’s special ‘STRONGHOLD’ probe for permanent attachment applications. All the probes are of high quality manufacture and very competitively priced.
OPTICAL PROBE HEAD TYPES
Optical probe heads of the following standards and types are available:
- IEC 62056-21 – (formerly known as EN 61107 and EN 1107 also called ‘1107’ or ‘FLAG’) an international standard adopted in Europe and many other countries for optical probes magnetically attached to meters. They comply with transmission standards IEC 62056-61 & -62 and DLMS/COSEM EN 13757-1
- ANSI C12.18 Type 2 – The USA standard for magnetically attached optical probes that is also employed in the Americas, some countries of the Middle East and Asia. (Consult METMOTEC for probes for meters in Australia)
- PACT – A special probe standard developed by PRI Limited (now part of Secure Meters, India). The PACT style probe offers useful permanent fixture with simple removal for use on meters such as the famous CALMU (the first ‘smart meter’), and the Premier, Sprint, Encore and Elite models
- ‘STRONGHOLD’ – This unique probe is in the IEC 62056-21 format (no ANSI version) but has very powerful rare earth magnets (20 times more powerful than in the IEC Standard). This provides secure attachment to meters in constant reading applications (when connected to modems for example). Standard cable is 2m straight but optional cable lengths are available to order. (The ‘STRONGHOLD’ probe is also useful for hand-held computers when attaching to meter optical ports that have magnetic adhesion discs of poor ferromagnetic quality – a problem unfortunately found on some low cost meters)
- Pulse Collecting Probe – According to IEC 62053-31 Class A (‘Pulse Output Devices for Electromechanical and Electronic Meters). The reading head is mechanically identical with the IEC 62056-21 standard for European/IEC markets only (no ANSI version) – Collects visible light signals and converts to electrical pulses for pulse counting devices. Consult with METMOTEC for more information
- Optical Probes for Gas Metering – An IEC62056-21 standard probe only (note: aluminium head) for gas volume correctors and some I&C gas meters – ATEX gas safety Zones 1 and 2 (USB and RS232 host connectors only). (Provisional – consult METMOTEC)
HOST CONNECTOR/CABLE TYPES
The following are available on the above IEC, ANSI, PACT and STRONGOLD optical probe head types
- USB 2 – for use on PCs, with 3m straight cable. USB port powered
- Micro USB – for use with Android devices, phones and tablet computers with Micro USB ports, for example Honeywell Dolphin 70e. USB port powered
- RS232 9 pin D-sub (F) – for earlier PCs, with 3m straight cable. Passive-power from host interface 3.3V
- RS232 9 and 25 pin D-sub (M) – for use on modems, with 3m coiled cable. Passive-power from host interface 3.3V
- Motorola MC65 and MC67 – USB-type cable for Motorola hand held meter reading computers. 2m straight cable. Host interface powered at 5V
- Honeywell Dolphin 9700 – connector with attachment cradle and 3m straight cable for earlier Honeywell hand held computer. Host interface powered at 5V
- Honeywell Dolphin 9900 – for the Honeywell computer widely used in local meter reading, supplied with 3m coiled cable. Host interface powered.
- Honeywell Dolphin 99EX – RS232 or USB2 interface – consult METMOTEC for cable options. Powered from host computer interface.
- RS 485 – 3m straight cable. Can be used on RS 485 modem and RS 485-LAN interfaces. 4-wire connection VDD, GND, Dplus &, Dminus. Voltage range 3.3 to 12V
- Other Connector/Cables – Special build available for many other types of hand held computer such as Husky, Microscribe, etc. Consult METMOTEC for options and prices
OTHER PROBE FEATURES
- Very high reliability and extremely low fail rate
- All the above probes (except the Pulse Collecting Probe) operate in the infra-red spectrum (nominally 900 nm)
- Suitable for meters worldwide
- Transmission rate: All standard rates 300 bps to 19.2 kbps (note PACT has lower max rate – meter model dependent)
- Working temperature: Minus 20 to plus 50 degrees Celsius
- Weight: 100 to 150 grams depending on cable and connector type
- Magnetic adhesion force: 36N for all probes except the STRONGHOLD Probe which is 110N. (PACT probes are mechanically fixed to a special retaining slot on the meter)
- Material: ABS and Clear Polycarbonate except where otherwise stated in datasheets
- Warranty: All products an exceptional 2 years – return to factory
Consult METMOTEC for more information if you need probes for Sagemcom meters, Siemens ANSI meters or the Ampy 5196.